Paleo Nutella.

The chocolate-lover’s dream.

Top cakes, breads and fruits with this creamy spread. Or...just eat by the spoonful!

Here are the tools, ingredients, and steps you’ll need to use/follow to create your new best (food) friend!

Tools you’ll need:

•        Measuring cups
  •        Measuring spoons
  •        2 mixing bowls
  •        Food processor
  •        Spatula
  •        Pizza pan (to toast hazelnuts and make hazelnut butter)

Ingredients:

•        2 cups hazelnuts
  •        2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
  •        3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
  •        1 tablespoon of xylitol (or your preferred natural sweetener)

Steps:

1. Preheat oven to 375.
    2. Place hazelnuts on a pizza pan (or a regular baking sheet).
    3. Bake for 10 minutes.
    4. Let cool (on pizza pan) overnight.
    5. De-skin the hazelnuts one at a time and dispose of the skin. This process takes about 15-20 minutes; make yourself comfy and watch a TV show (I watched desperate housewives on Netflix! Gosh, I love that show.)
    6. Once hazelnuts have been de-skinned, place them in food processor and process for about 3 minutes, until you get a buttery consistency.
    7. Add xylitol and cocoa powder to the buttery consistency and process ingredients until they are all well incorporated – about 2 minutes.
    8. Once all ingredients have been incorporated, melt coconut oil and add one tablespoon at a time, processing each time your add a tablespoon.
    9. Once you get a creamy butter consistency, stop processing, scoop out all the Nutella and place it in a mason jar. Refrigerate.

Right out of the oven. Gorgeous toasted hazelnuts!

De-skinning our hazelnuts.

De-skinned hazelnuts.

De-skinned hazelnuts in food processor.

Processed hazelnuts. You can see that they have become a buttery consistency.

Added unsweetened cocoa powder and Xylitol to the mix.

Hazelnuts, unsweetened cocoa powder and xylitol processed (before adding coconut oil).

This is what your mixture will look like after you've added coconut oil to the mix. Your Nutella is done.

Nutella in mason jar. Pretty little thing.

About The Author

Mariel Lewis

I'm an avid Paleo blogger passionate about health and fitness! I love cooking with natural ingredients. This passion drives me to dream up fun culinary creations that not only nourish the body but taste great! Eating healthy doesn't have to be a drag, try some of my Paleo recipes and let me know what you think! :)

23 Responses

1. Bonnie

Ahh! I am so excited about this!! I can’t wait to make this! I am a HUGE nutella fan but it’s expensive! I’d much rather make my own! :)

2. Diane

I am making this recipe for a friend who is stationed overseas. Does it travel well? How long will this keep?

Mariel Lewis

Hi Diane! I am not sure how well it travels (I’d asume well, as long as you keep it in a tight container), but it lasts around 3 weeks. :)

3. Cassie

Hi! Can you tell me how many cups this one made…….I’m going to use it for your banana and nutella popsicles!

Mariel Lewis

Hi Cassie! It made about 9 oz, which is a little over a cup. :) Have fun making Paleo Nutella!

4. John

I have a question…and I’m a total newbie. Are you toasting the hazelnuts just to remove the shells? The reason I ask is blanched hazelnuts are more available here so the shell is already removed. Do I still need to toast the blanched hazelnuts to any degree? Thanks!

Mariel Lewis

Hi John! I toasted the hazelnuts in order to give them a smokey taste and feel, you need to have toasted hazelnuts for the recipe to turn out well. Unfortunately blanched hazelnuts will not work for this particular recipe.

5. Lisa

I can’t find shell hazelnuts, could I get raw unshelled then roast them in the oven to get the smokey taste and feel, or does that only happen when they are roasted in their shells..

6. Jasmin

Does it need to stay refrigerated? I left mine in there overnight and now I can’t scoop it out.

Mariel Lewis

Hi Jasmin! No, it’s not supposed to be refrigerated. Just keep it in a cool place. :)

7. Vania

Mariel,

This was amazing! I loved it, and found it was fantastic that satisfies a sweet craving and then you are full, I did not feel the need to keep eating tons of it since it was so natural and great tasting. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Mariel Lewis

Vania! Yay, so glad to hear you liked my homemade Paleo Nutella! Thanks so much for your comment. :)

8. Eloise

Hello!
    Made the paleo bread first and then I made the Nutella.
    My Nutella is really thick and dark? What have I done wrong? Tastes lovely but consistency doesn’t seem write?

Mariel Lewis

Did you use enough coconut oil? Did you melt the coconut oil before using it for the recipe? Try adding a little more coconut oil next time. Also be sure to roast and de-shell your hazelnuts before processing!

9. Maria

Hello

I just tried making this recipe but my Nutella tastes a little gritty. (I think it’s from the cocoa) What can I do to fix this? I don’t want to add too much coconut oil bc I don’t want to make it runny and lose the hazelnut taste.

Mariel Lewis

Hi there, Maria! Either process it a little bit longer or add some coconut oil/milk to it. Just so you know, my Paleo Nutella was not as smooth as butter, it was a tiny bit gritty as well…the nature of the ingredients used, I guess. ;)

10. Cyril

i finally found the perfect paleo blog. By any chance do you have a paleo bread recipe ? It would be used to spread my nutella on :D