Let me start by saying that typically, ice-cream is not allowed on the Paleo Diet. As its name suggests, it has “cream”, and cream is dairy. Dairy is not Paleo, therefore bye-bye ice-cream for all of us. Sad day.
Luckily, there are some wonderful Paleo approved ingredients out there than can help us in the kitchen and work little miracles for us. Sometimes these miracles are “ice-cream” miracles. My favorite type of kitchen miracle!
I love how one can get creative and find perfectly suitable substitutes for a lot of American favorites. The Paleo Diet is never boring or limiting, especially when it comes to taste. That is why I am such a huge fan; it’s easy for me to stay on track and eat this way day in and day out.
Let me introduce you to my Berries n’ Cream Ice-Cream recipe. Berries n’ Cream made healthy. Berries n’ Cream made simple. Berries n’ Cream made easy! Does it get any better than this? Nope, don’t think so. Get busy guys, you’ll want to taste this one!
- Ice Cream Maker (or Ice-Cream attachment if you have a standing mixer)
- Food processor
- Small saucepan
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoon
- Plastic wrap
- ¾ cup fresh raspberries (better if ripe)
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries (better if ripe)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (must be canned & full fat!)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 heaping tablespoons RAW honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 medium eggs, whisked
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Pace raspberries and strawberries in your food processor. Process until berries have broken down completely. Set your berry puree aside.
- Pour your coconut milk and vanilla extract in your saucepan and place under medium heat until it simmers. Whisk slowly and constantly.
- Once it has simmered, remove saucepan from heat and let milk cool for about 5 minutes.
- SLOWLY add in your whisked eggs to your coconut milk/vanilla mixture. As you’re slowly pouring the eggs in, make sure you whisk continuously [It is very important you add the eggs in slowly (and that you have left the coconut milk cool off a bit) as you don’t want the eggs to cook.]
- Add in lemon juice, honey and sea salt to the mix and whisk.
- Pour mixture in mixing bowl. Add in berry puree and mix well.
- Cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate mixture overnight.
- Once refrigerated overnight, place ice-cream mixture in your ice cream maker and follow your ice cream maker’s instructions accordingly.
- Once ice cream maker has done it’s job and ice cream is ready, serve it along with Paleo cookies and enjoy this wonderful summer treat!
* Makes 5 servings.
* Nutritional Information (per serving): 169 calories; 14g fat; 11g carbohydrates; 1g protein.