I have a super special recipe for you today.
Not only is it extra delicious and a super good treat to have with coffee, but its extra special to me because of a personal reason.
I baked a batch of this bread for a very special person. She is both a friend and a mentor to me. She has taken me under her wing and helped me thrive both professionally and personally. This special person is my ex Team Lead at the company for which I work for (Hewlett Packard). I say “ex”, because as of this week, she has been promoted and taken a new role within the organization. She has proven to be a very big asset and now is getting compensated for it. Yay! I love when talent gets recognized. This special lady taught me, and the rest of the team, a very important lesson…to work hard and always keep learning to stay on top.
I am lucky enough to work in the same city as her (most Hewlett Packard employees work remote, so we have co-workers all over the globe), so I’ll get to deliver her little Chocolate Chip Zucchini Paleo Bread straight to her office personally.
Let me tell you why I chose to make this particular bread for her…
On my very 1st day of work, we met at the HP campus for a training session. She came in carrying a million devices (3 computers, two cell phones, cords, etc.), and along all she carried, she also managed to bring in a large green smoothie in her hands. That was her breakfast; a perfectly healthy, tall bottle of liquid green goodness. I was immediately proud of her! Healthy is such an important aspect of life, and no matter how busy we are, health must not be put aside. As our day went, she kept sipping on her little drink. I had to ask what all was in it and she told me it had a large assortment of fruits, kale, coconut oil, etc. It was a GREAT smoothie combination! I got the feeling she knew what it took to keep healthy. Because I know how important it is for her to add in some vegetables in her morning treats, I decided to bake her bread that contains a vegetable too! One of the key ingredients that goes in this delicious bread is zucchini! Zucchini is such a great vegetable (helping lower cholesterol, prevent cancer, lower blood pressure, etc.), and it is subtle enough to add to sweet treats.
I wanted to bake a treat as a symbol to represent what a “treat” it was for me to work with her. Cheesy, I know, but it’s true. I cannot wait to give it to her! It’s my own way of saying “Thank you. I really appreciate you.”
*** If you have someone in your life that you’d like to say a special “Thank You” to, do it along with me. Use this recipe to show them how much they really mean to you.***
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (to top)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix dry ingredients (almond flour, cacao powder, sea salt and baking soda) and set aside.
- Mix wet ingredients (honey, almond milk, vanilla extract, eggs and coconut oil) and set aside.
- Incorporate dry and wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Fold in zucchini to your mix.
- Pour mixture, equally divided, into your two mini bread pans.
- Sprinkle ⅛ cup of chocolate chips on top of the mixture in each of the bread pans.
- Bake for 40 minutes (make sure you do a toothpick test to see if bread is done once those 40 minutes have passed).
- Let cool and enjoy(Note: I personally like to refrigerate my bread overnight and enjoy the next day, as mixture has solidified and bread stays put when sliced).
- 2 mini bread pans
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons