I thought I’d share one of my favorite easy recipes with you today. My Classic Slow Cooker Pot Roast! I love how this recipe tastes, how nourishing it is, how comforting it is and how easy it is to prepare. If you have a crockpot available in your home, you should definitely give this recipe a try! You’ll just need to prep the ingredients, toss them in your crockpot, go about your day and not even think about dinner once…and then come home to a perfect dinner situation! Awesome, right? Gotta love crockpot meals.
I have been extra happy lately. My husband took a leap of faith, quitting his job and giving his entrepreneurial dream a chance! That’s bold, isn’t it? I really respect him for leaving corporate America and giving himself a shot. I am so proud of him, and I know he will get far and accomplish every and any goal he sets for himself. He is a very smart, hardworking professional who has more passion and talent than ten people combined. And I’m not just saying this because I’m his wife. Oh no. This man blows my mind; he always did and always will. He is pure talent and brain.
I gotta say, though, one of the things that has me the happiest about his decision, is that I get to work next to him every day now! We get to enjoy the best hours of the day together, whereas before we only had mornings and nights with each other. He is my best friend in the whole wide world, so the more time I get to be by him, the better. I am a happy, happy goose. What a blessing! God is good.
- 3 lbs. beef chuck roast, tied around with twine (if you buy it at Whole Foods, it'll come this way already)
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
- 3 large parsnips, peeled and cut into 1” pieces (you could also use white potatoes, if you'd prefer)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons organic low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (paleo recipe here)
- 2 tablespoons ghee, or homemade clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- Coarse sea salt, to taste (I used about 2 teaspoons)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I used about 1 teaspoon)
- In a mixing bowl, stir together tapioca flour and 2 tablespoons vegetable broth until smooth. Add to crockpot, along with remaining broth, Worcestershire sauce, onions, carrots, parsnips and ground thyme.
- Preheat cast iron skillet (medium-high heat).
- Season roast with sea salt and pepper, and rub with garlic. Add ghee to hot skillet, and use your tongs to place roast on skillet. Allow roast to sear on all sides (about 2 minutes per side).
- Use tongs to grab seared roast and place on top of vegetables in crockpot. Cover and cook for 8 hours on low. Enjoy!
- Cast iron skillet (or frying pan)
- Small mixing bowl
- Cutting board and knife
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons