Who is down for a fabulous holiday side dish recipe? If you are, then this post is right for you!
Today you’ll learn how to make a scrumptious herb and walnut sweet potato recipe; you’ll find that it is the perfect side dish for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day or for any other date during the wonderful month of December. December seems to be such a joyful, eventful and merry type of month, so making special dishes during this time of the year feels just right.
Let’s make a promise this holiday season shall we? Let’s make every single day special from here on out. Let’s think about every blessing in our lives and be grateful for it all. Let’s ponder upon all the things in life we are grateful for and turn those thoughts into pure positivity and love. We’ll allow our cheer to be spread to others and make their lives THAT much better. We can be a blessing to every single person around us. And guess what? It can all start today! Let’s show our family and friends how much we really do LOVE them!
I am starting this promise by making this fun Holiday Paleo Roasted Sweet Potatoes recipe for my hubby. I know it will speak to him and demonstrate how much I care, because making something with love, care and excitement goes a very, very long way.
- 3 sweet potatoes, diced
- ½ red onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- Prep all of your ingredients ahead of time (dice, chop, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place frying pan under medium heat and add in walnuts (roasted walnuts). Using a wooden spoon, toss walnuts around to keep them from burning. Roast walnuts for about 8-10 minutes. Once roasted, transfer walnuts to small bowl and let them cool.
- Place your frying pan under medium heat again. Add in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil; once coconut oil has melted, add in garlic, onion and celery. Cook these ingredients for about 8 minutes.
- Add in raisins, roasted walnuts, parsley, sage, rosemary, oregano and thyme. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and season with sea salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Add sweet potato cubes to a mixing bowl and coat them with remaining coconut oil (melted). Add walnut/onion/garlic/celery/herb combination to your potatoes. Mix well and place in baking dish.
- Bake for 60 minutes total (after the first 30 minutes, take baking dish out and move the potatoes around with your spatula to ensure they don’t burn; place baking dish back in the oven and bake for another 30 minutes).
- Let potatoes cool and enjoy along with some turkey, ham or whatever your holiday protein jam is! You will love this side dish.
- 9” x 13” baking dish
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Frying pan
- Wooden spoon
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife