These Paleo Zesty Orange Waffles are heavenly. They are nice and fluffy and rich, and unlike many waffles out there, very nutritious. They are made with a few paleo waffle staple ingredients, such as almonds, coconut and honey, but I also added another fun ingredient to the mix this time. Oranges!
Adding orange zest and orange juice to the recipe not only makes these Paleo Zesty Orange Waffles nice and moist, but it also gives them great flavor and a better nutritional content!
Did you know that oranges promote clear and healthy skin? Or that they can help lower the risk of various diseases? Or that they have over 170 different phytochemicals and more than 60 flavonoids, many of which have shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidant effects?
Yup. Oranges are powerful little fruits!
For women specifically, eating higher amounts of citrus fruits (such as oranges!) has been linked with a reduced risk of strokes. A study showed that women who ate higher amounts of citrus had about 19% less risk of having a stroke, than those who ate lower amounts of citrus.
Great health benefits PLUS amazing taste? Umm, I think I’ll take an orange or two, thank you very much!
Eating real ingredients, real food, is so crucial as we help heal and nourish our bodies with every bite. That is why I absolutely adore making my own meals and eating at home, because you know what goes into making the foods you eat and you know you can give yourself the best ingredients out there.
Be sure to give these tasty Paleo Zesty Orange Waffles a try! I assure you they won’t disappoint. Especially now that the weather is super nice and the days are hot, these citrusy waffles will fit right in!!
- 1 cup almond meal (I used almond-meal-residue from my homemade almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- ½ orange, juice of (please don’t use orange juice form a carton/bottle; fresh is best!)
- 2 tablespoons almond milk (I used my homemade almond milk – which is very creamy)
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Prep all ingredients.
- Mix dry ingredients together (almond meal, coconut flour, unsweetened shredded coconut, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt and orange zest)
- Mix wet ingredients together (orange juice, almond milk, eggs, coconut oil and honey)
- Combine went and dry ingredients together.
- Plug in your waffle maker. Once it’s hot an ready to be used, spray some coconut oil spray and add your waffle mixture (the recipe yields 5 square waffles, so be sure to divide your mixture accordingly)
- Once your waffle maker beeps and you’re waffles are ready, remove them from the waffle maker and let them cool for about a minute or two.
- Top with your favorite ingredients. I topped my waffles with maple syrup, berries and bananas. SO GOOD!
- Waffle maker
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Citrus juicer