Lately I’ve been posting a lot of Healthy Bowl recipes on my blog. Now, even though those are phenomenal and I know you all enjoy those very much, I think it is time that I take a little break from them and post a savory recipe for you!
This recipe I am about to share today is an amazing side dish that I have been eating lots of this last week. It is so flavorful, so satisfying, and so good for you! It has ingredients that will provide you with wonderful nutrients to keep you healthy, and enough colors to keep your meals looking exciting and fun!
I love to eat this side dish along with a protein; it goes extremely well with chicken, steak and any type of burger (I made some veggie burgers, and let me tell you, the combination of these two foods was amazing).
This Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts with Feta and Beets recipe is easy to make and it stays fresh for about 3 days, that way you can save whatever you don’t eat and take along with you to work or class the next day, or the day after that! Left overs are a life saver in my home; one never knows when hunger strikes, and having delicious and healthy foods readily available can make life a breeze (saves us from going hangry, if you know what I mean!)
- 3 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts, halved and stemmed
- ½ purple onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cooked beets
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
- Prep your ingredients ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add sweet potatoes and ½ tablespoon of olive oil to Ziploc bag. Zip and shake to lightly cover all sweet potato cubes in oil.
- Place sweet potato cubes in roasting pan and bake for 40 minutes (after first 20 minutes have passed, remove pan from oven and use stainless steel spatula to carefully move sweet potatoes around - this will avoid burning and sticking).
- While sweet potato cubes bake, whisk remaining ½ tablespoon olive oil, minced garlic, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, sea salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Place brussles sprouts and onions in a large mixing bowl and pour your oil-garlic-spice mixture evenly over them. Set aside.
- Once sweet potatoes have baked for 40 minutes, remove from oven, add in brussles sprouts and onions, and bake for an additional 20 minutes at the same temperature.
- Remove from oven; add in cooked beets, feta cheese and some freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Large roasting pan
- Stainless steel spatula
- Large Ziploc bag
- Small mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife