Have you ever craved something so strongly that no matter how hard you try to think of other things to distract your mind, you still cannot manage to shake off the craving? Nor keep your mind away from it?
Yup. Me too. Happens to me all the time.
It’s how these Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars came to be, actually.
A few weeks ago, as I was editing photos and working on my blog, I got a very strong urge to have soft cookie bars. I wanted the kind with delicious chocolate chunks, that are soft and chewy. Don’t ask me why, but I craved them super bad. I literally had to stop what I was doing, go to my pantry for ingredients, and start whipping them up. And no, I am not pregnant. Which sort of scares me, because if I have this strong a’ craving not being pregnant, who knows what pregnancy has in store for me. Yikes.
I wanted my cookie bars to be cashew based, since my body takes cashews really well (but if you want yours to be almond based you can totally do that; all you have to do is sub the cashew meal/flour for almond meal/flour). I pulled out raw cashews and grounded them into a nice meal-like texture in my food processor so they could act like my flour. I mixed a few other yummy baking ingredients to my cashew flour, added rich dark chocolate chunks, and placed the baking dish in the oven for about 25 minutes.
When done, the dark chocolate chunks had melted a bit and the cookie bars had this golden glow to them that made them look totally irresistible. I had started salivating while the bars were baking, as I could smell all that comforting goodness, so I had to contain myself hard as I waited for them to cool down after taking them out of the oven. Once cool, I sliced them into 12 bars, took photos and dug in. I paired one up with a cold glass of non-dairy milk and the combo totally hit the spot. Then, back to work I went. All I needed was my Paleo treat, ya know? Problem solved in t- 35 minutes. That’s how easy these guys are to make, friends, you’ll have to make them sometime!
Remember, the recipe makes twelve bars, so be sure to share these with family and friends.
- 1 ½ cups cashew flour (to make your own: pulse raw cashews in food processor until fine meal-like texture is reached)
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp coconut shortening, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ enjoy life chocolate mega chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix cashew flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, shortening and vanilla extract. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in chocolate chunks, pour batter into lined baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes. Check at minute 25, you want bars to be golden brown. Let cool and slice.
- 9x9” baking dish
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowls