These are hands down the best Paleo chocolate chip cookies I have ever made. And have ever tried. They are to die for!
Crumbly, golden edges, soft insides, sweet, balanced, HEALTHY. What more can we ask from a cookie? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. This cookie takes the prize!
I have become a big fan of cookies lately. Such a fan, in fact, that my favorite souvenirs I bring from my international travels are…you guessed it…cookies! No joke, I bring cookies from most countries I go to. I waaaaay rather cookies than fancy home decor, colorful clothes or purses, or traditional alcohols…all I want the country’s top rated COOKIES.
Now, I know that sounds a bit strange, but I can’t help it. Cookies are my current obsession and there is nothing I can do about it. I just go with it now.
Last time I went to Ecuador I stocked up on coconut cookies, and I am sad to inform that those are almost gone (wahhhh!). We find ourselves (hubby and I) opening the “secret” drawer where we keep these cookies hidden very frequently, and one by one, those cute little red packets that carry 4 cookies each have slowly disappeared.
And since I am DEFINITELY a planner, I am already testing new yummy cookie recipes to replace my beloved Ecuador cookies. It was either that, or jump on a place and go back to Quito to buy some more. Obvi, I went with the most cost effective option. Haha.
These cookies are not like my Ecuadorian coconut cookies, but they are one hundred percent hitting my cookie-spot. They are SERIOUSLY SO GOOD!
These are cassava flour based, which is actually another REALLY popular ingredient in Ecuador and we grew up eating it non-stop…and they also contain a nice little dose of collagen peptides, which does wonders for your hair/skin/nails/bones/ligaments.
Also, I feel it’s really important for me to tell you that the added vanilla, dark chocolate chips, sea salt and ghee, take these cookies to a next-level state of goodness.
These babies will satisfy every last one of your taste buds AND fill your home with that amazing-freshly-baked-cookie scent that seduced everyone and their mother. Sorry I sound a bit dramatic here…but giiiirl, I speak truth.
These Chocolate Chip Cookies are:
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Protein Filled
- Good For You
Don’t forget to watch the easy-to-follow recipe video below!
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
- In a larger baking bowl, mix the shortening and sugar with a fork until they are well combined. Mix in the egg, yolk and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet, and stir. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Use a cookie dough scoop to scoop 6 cookies on to each sheet and lightly flatten with your hand. (These cookies will spread, so you don’t want to flatten them very much).
- Optional: Sprinkle the top of each cookie with a hint of coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. I like to bake one tray at a time for more even baking.
- Let the cooking cool completely before you move them so that the edges can crisp up.
- Two baking sheets
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Cookie dough scoop
WATCH HOW TO MAKE MY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES (1 MIN):