I’ve been craving beets lately. A whole lot. There is something about their redness and their composition that attracts me so much to them. If my body wants beets, it must mean it needs beets….right?
Here are a few fun facts on beets:
Beets have sodium, magnesium, calcium, iron and phosperous (You can’t “beet” that)! They are a fibrous food, which contains vitamins A and C as well as niacin. Studies have shown that beets protect the body against cancer (especially colon cancer) and that if consumed regularly, it can help protect your body against heart disease. Also, beets help cleanse the blood, cleanse the colon and strengthen the liver.
It’s good stuff. I’m thinking beets will be included in my diet more regularly. I want all these benefits. Plus, they are really delicious!
I bought some beets at our Co-Op and brought them home. I wanted a nice cold beet, carrot & apple juice! Doesn’t that just sound lovely? Well, let me just tell you, it was.
Here is what I did…
Tools You’ll Need:
- Large pot
- 2 fresh beets (you could also just use 1, if you’d prefer!)
- 2 large carrots
- 1 red apple
- Take out your juicer and plug it in.
- Scrub beets with vegetable brush to remove any dirt.
- Place them in your large pot with enough water to cover them.
- Bring water to a boil and then simmer for 25 minutes.
- Drain hot water and rinse beets with cold water.
- Leave cold water running and remove the beets’ skin.
- Trim the beets ends and then cut the beet into slices.
- Peel carrots and apple.
- Slice apple and cut each carrot in half.
- Turn on your juicer and add carrots, apple and beets.
- Done! Now drink up and be merry. This juice is great for your body!
Trackback from your site.