How about having a healthy treat today? One with which you wont sacrifice healthy digestion, feeling energized or even your diet.
My ‘Paleo Nut-less Muffins’ recipe provides the best of both worlds…it satisfies a sweet tooth, while sticking to a diet (all ingredients are natural and the recipe is grain-free, nut-free, dairy-free & gluten-free!). I don’t think anybody should ever have to sacrifice flavor to eat clean and stay lean.
I have discovered a new love, one for carrots. This great vegetable is rich in minerals, dietary fiber and antioxidants. Studies have shown that carrots lower the risk of cancer and cholesterol because of their beta-carotene component, which shields carcinogenic attacks. Carrots also provide the body with Vitamin A, which aids our vision greatly. Not only is this vegetable super tasty, available at any grocery store and easy to add to a bunch of different recipes (both cooking and baking ones!), but its very inexpensive! We all know that living the Paleo lifestyle can get a bit pricey, so finding and using inexpensive ingredients that we love is always a plus.
This recipe I am sharing with you today is packed with lots of great ingredients for you (including carrots!). Eat these muffins warm and be sure to share them with your family/friends!
Tools You’ll Need:
- Food processor
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Two mixing bowls
- Muffin pan
- Muffin liners
- 3 eggs
- 2 medium sized carrots (peeled and grated)
- 1 medium red apple (cored and grated – I also grated its peel)
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds (“pepitas”)
- ½ cup organic SunButter
- ½ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 5 medjol dates (cored and finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoons RAW honey
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place muffin liners in muffin pan and set aside.
- Place skillet under medium heat and add coconut oil. Once coconut oil melts, add in your pumpkin seeds and roast until brown (around 5 minutes). Make sure they don’t burn…use wooden spoon to constantly stir seeds around! Once brown, set aside and let cool.
- Grate carrots and apple. Once grated, add SunButter and mix in.
- Plug in your food processor and place cooled off pumpkin seeds inside. Process until pumpkin seeds have reached a flour consistency.
- In your bowl mix cinnamon, baking soda, sea salt and pumpkin seed flour together.
- Add in eggs, apple/carrot/sunbutter, RAW honey and coconut oil. Mix well.
- Fold in sunflower seeds and dates.
- Pour mixture carefully into muffin liners. Each liner should be filled up to the top.
- Bake for around 27-30 minutes.
- Let cool for a bit and enjoy with a chilled glass of almond milk, coffee or tea!
* Slightly modified from www.PaleOMG.com
* Makes 12 muffins
* Nutritional information (per muffin): 239calories; 15g fat; 18g carbohydrates; 6g protein.