My husband and I were obsessed for a while with, wait for it…frozen yogurt.
It is sooooo not Paleo, but we still loved it. It was one of those things where you wonder if they add some sort of addictive drug to it, because you kept craving it and craving it non-stop. At least we did! My husband and I were having it around 2-3 times each week…that was a LOT of bad stuff in our bodies…and a lot of cash, if you know what I mean.
Have you seen the cute little bright colored spoons they give you to enjoy your frozen yogurt when you’re about to pay? Well we currently own like 30 of those! That means $180 spent on froyo…that is if you pretend each froyo cup we carefully and generously assembled was $6 each (I am being conservative here). That’s a bunch of money. To put it into perspective…we could’ve supported our sponsored friend (we sponsor a little kid in my home country…best feeling ever) in Ecuador for 6 whole months! Six LONG months. Crazy.
Yup…we decided to put a stop to that craziness and make our own, meaning less sugar in our bodies and more money for sponsored friends. Works out great. And truthfully, I’ve been having a blast. Always looking forward to that time of day when I take my ingredients out of the freezer and place them in my food processor to make us some frozen goodness (without the dairy part, of course! See? Another perk of froyo making at home). I guess I shouldn’t refer to it as froyo anymore, if I don’t make it with yogurt. Duh! Ok, I’ll just call it ice cream, but I’ll still pretend its froyo! Tastes JUST as good anyway!
The ice-cream recipe I am sharing with you today is very easy and very tasty. The fun part is, you can get creative with toppings. Remember, this ice cream is yours and you have 100% say in what tops it! How cool is that?! Go to your grocery store’s bulk section and grab a bunch of different raw nuts, coconut flakes, and dark chocolate chips…also visit your farmer’s market or the produce section at your local co-op and grab an assortment of fresh fruits to have on hand! Why is this smart? Well, if you’re anything like me and all of the sudden get a strong craving for some luscious sweet froyo…ahem, Paleo ice cream…it’s good to be well prepared.
- 3-4 frozen bananas
- ½ cup of mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, red raspberries)
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Toppings: coconut flakes, slivered almonds, chopped walnuts, dark chocolate chips
- Take out bananas and berries from the freezer and let them thaw for a bit, so that food processor doesn't work too hard.
- Process bananas in a food processor until a creamy consistency is reached. Add in berries and process until broken down and creamy consistency is reached. Add in almond butter and vanilla extract. Process until mixed. Divide ice cream into two bowls, add toppings and enjoy right away.
- Ziploc baggies
- Food processor
- Ice-cream scoop
- Small bowl for your toppings