Pesto. A classic sauce originated in Italy. Did you know it is considered a wholesome food? The basil and the pine nuts are nutrient dense ingredients, the olive oil offers needed healthy fats and the garlic provides compounds with various health benefits.
One of my husband’s co-workers (her name is Kelly and she is a wonderful Cross fitter and Paleo eater – who by the way, was the first person to introduce me to Paleo) posted on my wall a couple of weeks ago asking me for a Paleo Pesto recipe. She said she had recently tried out a recipe with her boyfriend, but that it just didn’t quite turn out.
I did not have my own homemade Pesto Paleo recipe to share with Kelly when she requested the favor, but I was determined to nail a sweet pesto recipe for her. So Kelly, this one’s for you!
Yesterday, I got greatly inspired and went to the store to get me some fresh ingredients for my Paleo Pesto recipe!
I went to three different health stores looking for the perfect basil leaves. They had to be fresh. No dying leaves were allowed. The two first grocery stores I went to did not have the fresh looking basil leaves I was looking for, which then forced me to shop around Boise. Quite honestly, it was my excuse to visit various natural food stores in the city…one of my favorite activities. How dorky am I?
I finally found myself the perfect basil leaves I needed…now all I needed were some nice organic raw pine nuts. That was a bit easier (a bit expensive…pine nuts cost quite a bit, considering how tiny they are). Pine nuts are a crucial ingredient for my Pesto Paleo recipe. Crucial! Don’t even think of skipping this part.
After grabbing my little bag of pine nuts, I checked out and was good to go. I had the rest of the needed ingredients at home, so I was prepared for my Pesto Paleo goodness.
It really is amazing how delicious Pesto is. Even though it is made with a small amount of ingredients, they really do pack a punch! This is exactly why the quality of the ingredients you use matters!
Try this recipe and feel good about yourself, making homemade ready-to-use “ingredients” (such as Paleo Pesto) is deliciously satisfying!
- 8 cups of fresh organic basil leaves
- ¾ cups of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ cup of pine nuts
- 4 garlic cloves
- Place skillet under medium/low heat. Once hot, add pine nuts. Be sure to stir pine nuts constantly using your wooden spoon, as they release oils quickly and might burn faster than you think (don’t let them burn). You want the pine nuts to be toasty and brown.
- Remove pine nuts from skillet and let them cool on a plate.
- Plug in your food processor.
- Wash your basil leaves and let them dry for a bit (they don’t have to be 100% dry).
- Using your sharp knife and cutting board, chop your garlic cloves.
- Place basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts, sea salt and olive oil in your food processor. Process for about 1 minute or until all ingredients are well incorporated. Your mixture should be smooth.
- Pour mixture into a mason jar or any other storing container. Use right away or refrigerate to use in the next day or two.
- Food processor
- Sharp Knife
- Cutting Board
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Wooden Spoon