Dinners in my home have become lighter and lighter these days, and that’s because summer this year has come with mighty power! The days are so hot out there, that all I want to do is drink lots of water and eat foods that are the opposite of hot.
Soups, baked potatoes and casseroles are out for a while, but salads and light proteins are in for the win! Salads and grilled proteins feel light to me when I have them for lunch and dinner; not only do they feel refreshing and filling, but they are also super healthy for me and are able to give my body lots of great needed nutrients.
I love how summer can grow some great seasonal fruits and vegetables, which are juicy and full of flavor, that can make any salad taste amazing.
Here is a small list of my current favorite summer produce:
- summer squash
- jalapeno peppers
- bell peppers
This very colorful salad I am sharing with you today is one that I prepared this weekend for my family, and let me tell you, it was summer’s cold-meal perfection. It was so light, so refreshing and so satisfying; we devoured every last bite. Hope you love it too!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-½ teaspoons honey
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups baby kale
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup strawberries, diced
- ½ avocado, cubed
- ½ cup baby carrots, diced
- ¼ cup honey roasted pecans
- Add vinaigrette ingredients to a bowl and whisk vigorously to emulsify. Set aside.
- Place kale and spinach in a salad bowl, pour vinaigrette, and toss to coat. Add blueberries, strawberries, avocado, carrots and honey roasted pecans. Serve right away and enjoy by itself or as a side dish.
- Mixing bowls (medium one with a lid, and small one)
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife