These Paleo Zesty Orange Waffles are heavenly. They are nice and fluffy and rich, and unlike many waffles out there, very nutritious. They are made with a few paleo waffle staple ingredients, such as almonds, coconut and honey, but I also added another fun ingredient to the mix this time. Oranges!
Adding orange zest and orange juice to the recipe not only makes these Paleo Zesty Orange Waffles nice and moist, but it also gives them great flavor and a better nutritional content!
Did you know that oranges promote clear and healthy skin? Or that they can help lower the risk of various diseases? Or that they have over 170 different phytochemicals and more than 60 flavonoids, many of which have shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidant effects?
Yup. Oranges are powerful little fruits!
For women specifically, eating higher amounts of citrus fruits (such as oranges!) has been linked with a reduced risk of strokes. A study showed that women who ate higher amounts of citrus had about 19% less risk of having a stroke, than those who ate lower amounts of citrus.
Great health benefits PLUS amazing taste? Umm, I think I’ll take an orange or two, thank you very much!
Eating real ingredients, real food, is so crucial as we help heal and nourish our bodies with every bite. That is why I absolutely adore making my own meals and eating at home, because you know what goes into making the foods you eat and you know you can give yourself the best ingredients out there.
Be sure to give these tasty Paleo Zesty Orange Waffles a try! I assure you they won’t disappoint. Especially now that the weather is super nice and the days are hot, these citrusy waffles will fit right in!!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 3 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- Juice of ½ orange
- 2 tbsp almond milk (I used my homemade almond milk – which is very creamy)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- Mix almond flour, coconut flour, unsweetened shredded coconut, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt and orange zest in a large bowl; set aside.
- Whisk eggs, orange juice, almond milk, coconut oil and honey in a separate bowl; pour over bowl with dry ingredients and mix until no lumps remain.
- Cook per waffle maker instructions. Batter should yield 5 waffles, so divide accordingly.
- Serve right away with favorite toppings, or refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Waffle maker
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Citrus juicer