Today my husband turns twenty-seven years old. Twenty-seven! What a great number. I love that age. An age where maturity has settled, possibilities are endless and there is still hope for big dreams. My husband is a dreamer, but also a doer. He is an amazing entrepreneur who has 10 business models in his head at any given time. He has successfully started small ventures all by himself and has seen them grow over the years.
He is the smartest man I’ve ever met (along with my dad, of course), in every sense of the word. He is book smart, tech smart, design smart, life smart, socially smart…he’s all things smart! He grasps concepts faster than you can finish your sentence and every little project he touches turns into gold.
What a man! I feel incredibly blessed to be married to him. From the moment I started hanging out with him in college, I knew I was going to make him mine…there was no way I was going to let this keeper get away!
See, Preston doesn’t only have an out-of-this-world brain, but he also has an out-of-this-world heart. He cares about his family and people very deeply. He sees good in every single person and respects every individual for who they are. He won’t hold grudges and is easy to forgive. Whenever I get worked up about someone, this is what he’ll say to me: “Mari, remember, God loves them. He loves them!”. This is exactly what he bases his love on. God.
What an example of a guy. If every man in this world would be a bit more like Preston, not only would we have fun businesses popping around everywhere, but also a world ruled by love and care.
Preston, this Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake was made specially for you. Happy birthday my love!
Tools You’ll Need:
- Food Processor
- Stand up Mixer
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Small spoon
- 8×8 baking pan
Ingredients for the Chocolate Cake:
- 2 medium (baked & skinless) sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil (melted)
- 6 squares of Ghirardelli 100% cocoa unsweetened chocolate bar (melted)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cacao powder
- ¼ cup organic RAW honey (melted)
- 3 eggs (with yolk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Coconut oil spray
Steps for the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray your baking sheet with coconut oil spray. Set aside.
- Place sweet potatoes in your food processor and process until pureed.
- Add the rest of your ingredients and process until well combined.
- Pour mixture into baking pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- Let cool. Once cool, place it in your fridge overnight.
Ingredients for the frosting:
- 1 cup of virgin coconut oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of full fat canned coconut milk
- 1 packets of Truvia (or 2 teaspoons of Truvia)
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 single serving packet of instant coffee
Steps for the frosting:
- Place coconut oil in your stand-up mixer bowl. Mix (speed 2 or 4) until fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- While mixer is still on, add in vanilla extract, Truvia and coconut milk. Mix until well combined.
- Once you’ve turned off your mixer, using a spatula fold in shredded coconut and instant coffee.
- Using a small spoon, spread frosting over your cake!