Today my husband turns twenty-seven years old. Twenty-seven! What a great number. I love that age. An age where maturity has settled, possibilities are endless and there is still hope for big dreams. My husband is a dreamer, but also a doer. He is an amazing entrepreneur who has 10 business models in his head at any given time. He has successfully started small ventures all by himself and has seen them grow over the years.
He is the smartest man I’ve ever met (along with my dad, of course), in every sense of the word. He is book smart, tech smart, design smart, life smart, socially smart…he’s all things smart! He grasps concepts faster than you can finish your sentence and every little project he touches turns into gold.
What a man! I feel incredibly blessed to be married to him. From the moment I started hanging out with him in college, I knew I was going to make him mine…there was no way I was going to let this keeper get away!
See, Preston doesn’t only have an out-of-this-world brain, but he also has an out-of-this-world heart. He cares about his family and people very deeply. He sees good in every single person and respects every individual for who they are. He won’t hold grudges and is easy to forgive. Whenever I get worked up about someone, this is what he’ll say to me: “Mari, remember, God loves them. He loves them!”. This is exactly what he bases his love on. God.
What an example of a guy. If every man in this world would be a bit more like Preston, not only would we have fun businesses popping around everywhere, but also a world ruled by love and care.
Preston, this Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake and Coconut Coffee Frosting was made specially for you. Happy birthday, my love!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and baked
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp melted extra virgin coconut oil
- 6 squares 100% cacao chocolate bar, melted
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup melted honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Coconut oil spray
- 1 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp full fat canned coconut milk
- 2 tsp Truvia, or sweetener of choice
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease 8” square baking dish and set aside.
- Place sweet potatoes in a food processor and process until pureed. Add in the rest of the cake ingredients and process until well combined. Pour mixture into baking dish and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Make the frosting: add coconut oil to a stand-up mixer bowl, and mix in medium speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. While mixer is still on, add in vanilla extract, sweetener and coconut milk. Mix until well combined. Fold in shredded coconut and instant coffee.
- Frost the cake, slice and enjoy right away.
- Food Processor
- Stand up Mixer
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Small spoon
- 8x8 baking pan