About time I cooked something in the crockpot to share with you guys! I usually use the crockpot a lot in the wintertime, making flavorful recipes that seem to warm up the house with wonderful smells. Winters in Idaho are tough, and believe me when I say ANY little positive thing counts. If it wasn’t for the gym and my workouts, I think I would be depressed. I am not a cold-weather person at all, and trust me, it gets cold up in here. Overcast days are already a challenge for me, so you can only imagine how difficult wintertime is.
Today was a gloomy day in Boise, which is weird considering its still summer and the sun has been shining non-stop over here (apart from the occasional smoke brought by nearby fires), so I decided to brighten it up a bit with delightful and pleasing aromas (and good eats, of course).
I brought the crockpot out from the dark cupboards and prepared it to make some magic. It does do that…pure magic. If you don’t own one, you may want to invest in one. I promise you wont regret it. I got lucky and got it as a wedding gift from my wonderful sister and brother-in-law.
I grabbed chicken breasts, spices, apples, amongst other ingredients, and started prepping away for my little concoction. When all was said and done, I found myself enjoying a chicken so good, it made today’s gloominess disappear.
Give this Apple & Curry Chicken Crockpot a try!
Tools You’ll Need:
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- 6 organic boneless chicken breasts
- 3 sliced granny smith apples
- 1 chopped white onion
- 3 finely diced garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6oz of purified water
- 4 drops of liquid stevia
- 1/3 cup of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of coconut flour
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- Plug in your crockpot.
- Wash and cut off any fat from your chicken breasts (you don’t have to do this step, but I always do…we don’t like to take a bite of our chicken and run into fat).
- Chop/dice onions and garlic.
- Place onions in crockpot
- In your mixing bowl combine water, stevia drops, curry powder and ground nutmeg. Make sure it’s well mixed.
- Place chicken breasts in the bowl and coat them well with your juice mixture. Place chicken breasts in the crockpot on top of the onions. Pour remaining juice on top of the chicken.
- Add sea salt and ground black pepper to taste. I added about ½-1 teaspoon of each.
- Cover crockpot and cook for 6 hours on LOW.
- Once 6 hours have passed, add your sliced apples and let cook on LOW for another 40 minutes.
- In your measuring cup mix apple cider vinegar, chicken broth and coconut flour. Pour mix in the crockpot. Cover crockpot and cook on HIGH for about 15 minutes (sauce should become bubbly and thicken up a notch).
- Done! If not eaten immediately, keep chicken on WARM in your crockpot. House will smell great. You’ll see .
* Makes 6 servings
* Nutritional Information (per serving): 191 calories; 1.8g fat; 16.5g carbohydrates; 25g protein.