Tilapia. The protein of choice of bodybuilders and fitness models when preparing for a show or photo shoot. Why, you may ask? Well it’s got no carbs, no sugar, very little fat and lots of good lean protein. Tilapia’s main nutritional value is protein. One serving (4-oz fillet) provides half of the recommended (daily minimum) protein consumption for an active person. Pretty good, right? Tilapia is also rich in Vitamin B-12 and Selenium, which are essential vitamins for proper cell function.
This fish has a very mild flavor, making it the perfect fish choice when you want to have fun using spices and condiments. The most common ways to prepare Tilapia are to grill it or bake it. I’ve chosen to be unconventional today and try a different cooking method. We are going to fry it using coconut oil!
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Tools You’ll Need:
- Large Skillet/pan
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 5 Tilapia fillets
- 4oz freshly ground ginger
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 8 green onions (cut into small pieces – ½ an inch or so)
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Aminos (or you can use Coconut Aminos)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Rinse and tap dry the Tilapia fillets.
- Grind (ginger), mince (garlic) and cut (onions) ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in your skillet under medium heat. Once oil has melted, add 2 0r 3 Tilapia fillets. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Using your spatula, flip Tilapia. Add about ¼- ½ teaspoon of ginger, ¼ teaspoon of garlic, and 1/3 teaspoon of shredded coconut on top of each fillet. Let cook for 1 minute.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of Liquid Aminos to your fillets and let cook for 1 minute.
- Flip fillets one last time and add green onions, cook for 1 last minute and remove from skillet.
- Repeat steps 3-6 until all fillets have been cooked.
- Enjoy your Tilapia with a cold salad or cauliflower rice.
*Feel free to add a bit of lime to your tilapia if you’re in need of some extra zing!
* Makes 5 servings.
* Nutritional Information (per serving): 135 calories; 3g fat; 2g carbohydrates; 26g protein.
No related posts.
Trackback from your site.