I’ve been really into poultry lately, eating tons of chicken and turkey. I like to prepare my chicken in a very simple way, grilled or broiled…this works great for me, since I can then add grilled chicken to salads, mix and match it with various side dishes, and sometimes, just eat it by itself as a snack. However, I like my turkey a bit more…“complex”.
Last post showcased my favorite ground turkey recipe for lettuce wraps, which is still a mix-and-match sort of recipe (simple enough to enjoy it in various ways). Today, however, I am featuring my ‘Spaghetti Squash & Turkey Casserole’ turkey recipe. I like to experiment with my turkey, especially since I eat lots of it…got to keep switching the flavor up, you know? And you know what my secret is? Spices (and using various vegetables as part of the recipe, too)! Spices play a key role when it comes to switching things up and playing around with flavors. Try it.
My Spaghetti Squash & Turkey Casserole yields many servings, so you could either share it with your family and it eat all up…or cut it in small squares and place each in a Ziploc bag to freeze for later consumption. It’s up to you. Also, feel free to add the spices of your choice if you don’t like the ones I am using. Mrs Dash (spice I used) is a really good option if you want to keep sodium intake under control!
Tools You’ll Need:
- Baking dish (9”x13”)
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- 2 lbs. ground turkey (I used 99% fat free, but you can choose your favorite)
- 1 medium sized spaghetti squash
- 1 medium sized purple onion (sliced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 bundle of kale (chopped)
- 1 egg – include yolk (beaten)
- 1/3 cup less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 coconut milk (carton)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic and herbs Mrs. Dash spice
- ½ cup purified water
- Prep all your tools and ingredients, so they are good and ready to use, ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover your baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Place skillet under medium heat and add ground turkey along with water. Use a wooden spoon to break down the turkey; sprinkle some Mrs. Dash to your turkey and cover with lid.
- While the ground turkey is cooking (check every 5 minutes to make sure it doesn’t burn & that it cooks properly – adjust heat as needed) roast your spaghettis quash.
- Cut open your squash in half and remove seeds. Place your spaghetti squash open side down on the aluminum-covered baking dish. Bake for about 23 minutes.
- After squash has been baked, remove from oven and, using a fork, take out its “spaghetti-looking insides”. Place them in a bowl.
- Place ground turkey in the bowl (along with your spaghetti squash), once its cooked; make sure you leave the leftover turkey juices in your skillet.
- Add to your skillet: kale, onions, garlic, chicken broth, coconut milk and spices. Mix well under medium heat.
- Add you your skillet: spaghetti squash, turkey and egg. Mix well under medium heat.
- Once all ingredients are well combined, pour them in your baking dish. Bake (at 400 degrees) for 25 minutes (its top should be nice and gold).
- Remove from oven, let cool and eat!
* Makes 16 servings
* Nutritional Information (per serving): 112 calories; 4g fat; 3g carbohydrates; 15g protein
Trackback from your site.