You’ll find this Beef and Sweet Potato Crockpot Chili recipe super easy to make and super easy to eat! I think my husband and I finished the whole pot in a matter of 2 days. It is delicious and comforting, perfect for those colder days when all we want to do is get cozy at home and catch up on some Netflix TV shows. It’s also perfect for days like the Super Bowl…and since that day is coming up here real soon, this recipe is here just in the nick of time!
You can make this chili recipe in advance, and just keep it warm in your crockpot for when your family or friends are over to watch the game. A good idea is to place bowls and spoons next to it, so that everyone can just help themselves to a cup whenever they feel like having a nice little bowl of soup. Also, putting condiments next to the chili will bring some fun and creative freedom to your guests; you can place hot sauce, a small bowl of cilantro, a small bowl of cheese (if your guests eat cheese) or a small bowl of avocado slices next to it for them to add what they like. These little additions will make this recipe extra good and extra fun.
Because this chili recipe excludes beans, you don’t have to worry about eating just one bowl! It will not bring discomfort or bloating, so eat away.
My husband likes to top it off with crushed sweet potato chips to add a little crunch. If you’re anything like him, and like a little crunch with every bite, you may want to try his trick. Happy cooking!
- 1 lb. ground organic beef
- ¼ cup minced white onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 28 oz. can organic diced tomatoes
- 32 oz. low sodium organic vegetable broth
- ½ white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Place frying pan under medium heat. Once hot add coconut oil and allow it to melt. Add in minced garlic and onions, and cook until garlic is golden and onions are translucent. Add in serrano peppers and cook for another 2 minutes. Add in ground beef and help break it apart with your spoon. From here on out, you’ll want to stir the beef constantly.
- After about 3 minutes of adding the beef, add in spices (sea salt, black pepper, cumin and paprika) and continue to stir. Cover pan for about 10 minutes to let beef cook well. Remove cover and continue to stir until all the liquid from the vegetables is gone. Turn heat off.
- Place peeled and cubed sweet potatoes in pot and cover with cold water. Place pot under medium-high heat, and bring to a boil. Once water boils, set a timer and let potatoes cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, onions, spices, maple syrup and beef in crockpot.
- Once potatoes are done cooking, drain them and add them to your crockpot. Close crockpot with lid and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Serve chili in a bowl and top with chopped cilantro and avocado slices. Enjoy!
- Medium pot
- Frying pan
- Cutting board and knife
- Vegetable peeler
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons