I’m taking a small break from Super Bowl Sunday recipes today, because I want to share one of my current favorite snacks with you.
This particular snack recipe is packed with great protein (as one of it’s main ingredients is one of my current favorite protein powders), it can easily be enjoyed any time of day, and it can be made into savory or sweet dishes. Talk about awesome, right?
I typically chose to have one of these waffles right after a workout, because not only am I starving and hungry for something satisfying, but I’ve found that my body absorbs protein more efficiently after I’ve gotten my pump on at the gym. Muscles will absorb any protein you consume a lot faster after weight training, and it will be used for recovery and growth.
I find myself enjoying one of these waffles with fresh fruit often, but sometimes I choose to convert two of these waffles into “bread slices” to make yummy sandwiches. (I’ll share a recipe for that soon!)
Give these a try, I know they won’t disappoint.
Be sure to use a good quality protein powder to make them, as this will make a HUGE difference as far as texture, moisture and taste goes.
- 8 tablespoons (or ½ cup) Alter Whey Isolate protein powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 eggs, separate yolks from whites
- Coconut oil spray, to spray waffle maker
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients: protein powder, coconut flour, baking soda and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine wet ingredients: yolks, coconut milk, coconut oil and honey. Pour wet ingredients into bowl with dry ingredients and incorporate.
- Whip egg whites until they get foamy and add in to mixture and combine.
- Plug in waffle maker, and once hot and ready, spray coconut oil and add waffle mix in. Mix yields 4 waffle squares, so divide accordingly.
- Serve warm. Top with a dab of coconut oil and honey, and enjoy with a side of bacon and eggs.
- Waffle maker
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons