One of the most challenging and rewarding activities I have done this year has been the Bodybuidling.com Employee Transformation Challenge. My husband works at BBcom and he entered the challenge. I love to be a part of all things my hubby does, so of course I had to jump on the same boat and do the transformation along with him. I sort of knew it would be a big commitment, but I never expected it to rule over my life for three months.
Our days looked something like this:
- Wake up and do 25 minutes of fasted morning cardio
- Go to kitchen and eat oatmeal and coffee
- Go to the gym and do 1-1 ½ hours of weight lifting and cardio
- Speed home, get ready for work and drive like a maniac to make it on time
- Work and make sure I ate my boring meals every 2-3 hours
- Drive home, cook and prepare our meals for the next day
- Sleep out of exhaustion
- Wake up and repeat
The hardest part by far…our boring, cleaner than clean, meals. We had to eat super healthy with the trainer we were following: broiled or grilled protein, veggies, and slow digestive carbs (yams, oatmeal, brown rice, brown pasta). Blah. Every single meal we were limited to these and only these things. Meals got boring after day one. We survived ninety days of them! Ninety. Our trainer program didn’t allow the fun Paleo stuff! We couldn’t have fruits, nuts, and we had to reduce fats to only protein fats.
But you know what…the results were so incredibly satisfying that I forgot all about the boring meals and the tough workouts. We ROCKED our transformation. Preston (hubby) won second place! He looked like a superhero. I couldn’t technically participate because I wasn’t an employee L, but I was very proud of myself and my results! Body fat went from fifteen percent to nine percent, and my abs were so cut that I could probably hold a piece of paper in between them when I flexed! Ok, that was a weird visual.
I started eating Paleo right after the trainer was over. And seriously, it was the best.thing.ever. No joke. Are you kidding?! I could eat bacon? And fruits? And nuts? Whaaaaa? Heaven.
Our favorite Paleo dinner appetizer was either yam fries or bacon. But how, oh how do we combine the two? We knew we needed to figure that one out since it was sort of a lot of work to stuff them in our mouths one at a time. We wanted to savor both at once! One night, we got enlightened. Boom, just like that. Yam fries wrapped with BACON strips. They lasted, um, about 30 seconds. Three large yams entered our bodies faster than the oven could cool off. Give my Bacon Wrapped Yam Fries a try, they won’t disappoint.
- 2-3 medium or large yams
- 10-20 strips of your favorite bacon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Cover baking sheets with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Cut yams onto thin french-fry-looking strips and set aside.
- Cut every bacon strip in half.
- Carefully warp bacon strips around cut yams and place them on the baking sheets.
- Repeat step 5 until you run out of bacon. If you have some yams left without bacon, just place them on baking sheet so they bake as well!
- Place baking sheets in the middle rack of the oven and bake for about 15 minutes (or until desired crispiness is reached).
- 2 baking sheets
- Aluminum foil