Coconut oil is a beautiful thing. It is so good for you, so versatile. You can use it for so many things, like making scrambled eggs or moisturizing your skin.
I literally start using coconut oil 10 minutes after waking up and after drinking 32 ounces of fresh filtered water, as I do coconut oil pulling for about 20 minutes every morning (have you tried oil pulling? it’s amazing). Also, I use coconut oil in the morning to make egg scrambles for my hubs and for myself, as it’s hands down my favorite oil to use for making eggs. Then, depending on how dry the weather is, I use some coconut oil on my lips before going out to the gym. Then, post-workout or for lunch, I use it again to roast potatoes or to lightly fry lean proteins…I even put it in my protein smoothies sometimes!
Yes, coconut oil is my homie. I do not go one day without it. In fact, it was the only product I took with me to Ecuador on my trip to visit my family, because they don’t sell it over there and I knew I would be needing it! It’s cute because my mom now buys coconut oil in bulk every time she comes to the US for vacation; I love that she too, sees the benefit of using coconut oil and loves what all you can do with it. I bet they’ll start selling it Ecuador soon though. If not, hey, good business to start!
Another way I have been using coconut oil lately is in my coffee. I grab a dab of it and blend it along with a nice lungo (a long espresso shot I make using my KitchenAid Nespresso machine) in a high-speed blender for about a minute. I love how the coconut oil and the coffee form a nice emulsion when blended, leaving my drink all creamy and smooth. When doing this, the health benefits of drinking a cup of joe are multiplied. Coconut oil is fantastic for you. So why not have a little in your coffee, right?
This recipe I have for you today is one that not only adds creaminess to your coffee, but a little sweetness and spice as well. Be sure to follow the instructions and use a blender! Your coffee results will be a LOT better if you blend.
- ½ cup coconut oil, soft (almost melted)
- ⅓ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup drip coffee or 1-2 shots of espresso
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. The coconut oil might get a bit clumpy, use your spatula to smooth it out so it blends with the rest of the ingredients.
- Store creamer in a small container and close it tight with lid to keep fresh.
- Pre-heat your blender (add hot water and then pour it out).
- Add in your favorite espresso shot(s) or drip coffee (1 cup), along with 1 tablespoon of the creamer; blend on high for about 1 minute.
- Pour coffee in favorite mug and enjoy!
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Small glass jar, or glass container, with lid
* Recipe slightly modified from Modern Hippie Housewife