Hope you all had a wonderful weekend, and enjoyed your Super Bowl parties and all of the goodies that were served!
This year I kept my Super Bowl food very basic Paleo; I ate tons of sweet potatoes, grilled proteins and delicious salads with lots of fruits. My husband, however, totally caved in and had 4+ slices of store bought Hawaiian pizza. He loves a good cheat! He enjoyed every single bite, of course, but those fast digesting carbs hit him hard and knocked him out early in the evening. Wheat got the best of him, poor guy.
We were watching Bridge of Spies last night after the game, and I had to keep waking him up every ten minutes as he kept falling asleep. And it wasn’t even late yet! I would randomly comment on the movie and was waiting for a reaction from him, and got nothin’ back. So I would look over, and he was out. I would shake him lightly to wake him up. This happened probably like 10 times, lol. And see, I would normally let him sleep, but this was SUCH a good movie, that I didn’t want him to miss it. And it’s cute because I know he was struggling to keep awake, as he really did want to see Tom Hank’s performance, but that pizza kept getting him. Lesson of the day? Stay away from store bought pizza, unless you want to be knocked out!
Bridge of Spies was SO GOOD. Have you seen it? If you haven’t yet, I highly recommend you do. The performance, the storyline…it was all fantastic. It’s currently available for rent on iTunes, and it makes for a nice date night in with your honey…just don’t let him/her eat pizza right before it. 😉
One of the delicious side dishes I had yesterday was this Roasted Butternut Squash Kale Salad. It was so fresh, and packed with flavor and textures! I loved the addition of the roasted butternut squash, as it gave the salad a sweet twist and it made it look so pretty!
If you feel like you need a little “detox” from all the Super Bowl food, this my friends, is the way to do it. With this salad, you’ll feel energized, refreshed and satisfied.
- 1 kale bunch, washed and chopped
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup organic raisins
- Coconut oil spray to spray baking sheet
- Prep ingredients ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray baking sheet with coconut oil and set aside.
- Place kale in a large salad bowl and set aside (refrigerate while squash bakes, so it's nice and crisp).
- Place squash in mixing bowl and drizzle with grape seed oil; toss with a spoon to make sure every cube is lightly coated with oil. Sprinkle sea salt and pepper and toss.
- Add squash to baking sheet and place in oven for 25 minutes, turning it occasionally so that squash browns evenly.
- Once 25 minute shave gone by, remove from oven, add raisins on top and bake again for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, drizzle honey and sprinkle cinnamon. Let cool.
- Once cool, add butternut squash, cashews and about 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinaigrette to kale, and toss. You can add a little goat cheese or nutritional yeast on top if you feel like it. Enjoy!
- Cutting knife
- Cutting board
- Vegetable peeler
- Mixing bowl
- Baking sheet
- Measuring spoons