Hope you all had a wonderful weekend, and enjoyed your Super Bowl parties and all of the goodies that were served!
This year I kept my Super Bowl food very basic Paleo; I ate tons of sweet potatoes, grilled proteins and delicious salads with lots of fruits. My husband, however, totally caved in and had 4+ slices of store bought Hawaiian pizza. He loves a good cheat! He enjoyed every single bite, of course, but those fast digesting carbs hit him hard and knocked him out early in the evening. Wheat got the best of him, poor guy.
We were watching Bridge of Spies last night after the game, and I had to keep waking him up every ten minutes as he kept falling asleep. And it wasn’t even late yet! I would randomly comment on the movie and was waiting for a reaction from him, and got nothin’ back. So I would look over, and he was out. I would shake him lightly to wake him up. This happened probably like 10 times, lol. And see, I would normally let him sleep, but this was SUCH a good movie, that I didn’t want him to miss it. And it’s cute because I know he was struggling to keep awake, as he really did want to see Tom Hank’s performance, but that pizza kept getting him. Lesson of the day? Stay away from store bought pizza, unless you want to be knocked out!
Bridge of Spies was SO GOOD. Have you seen it? If you haven’t yet, I highly recommend you do. The performance, the storyline…it was all fantastic. It’s currently available for rent on iTunes, and it makes for a nice date night in with your honey…just don’t let him/her eat pizza right before it. 😉
One of the delicious side dishes I had yesterday was this Roasted Butternut Squash Kale Salad. It was so fresh, and packed with flavor and textures! I loved the addition of the roasted butternut squash, as it gave the salad a sweet twist and it made it look so pretty!
If you feel like you need a little “detox” from all the Super Bowl food, this my friends, is the way to do it. With this salad, you’ll feel energized, refreshed and satisfied.
- 1 kale bunch, washed and chopped
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup organic raisins
- Coconut oil spray to spray baking sheet
- 4 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp honey
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Make the vinaigrette: add vinaigrette ingredients to a bowl and whisk vigorously to emulsify. Transfer to a jar with a lid and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Spray baking sheet with coconut oil and set aside.
- Place squash in a bowl, and toss with grape seed oil, salt and pepper. Transfer squash to baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes; turn squash occasionally to brown evenly. Remove from oven, fold in raisins, honey and cinnamon and bake for another 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Add kale to a large salad bowl; massage with hands until soft with the help of a bit of olive oil, fresh lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Top kale with butternut squash, roasted cashews and vinaigrette to taste. Finish it off with a sprinkle of feta cheese crumbles or nutritional yeast if desired. Serve right away.
- Cutting knife
- Cutting board
- Vegetable peeler
- Mixing bowl
- Baking sheet
- Measuring spoons