Who doesn’t crave salads during the Spring and Summer months? I know I do!
I love how refreshing and light they feel, how delicious they can be and how easy they are to make! Also, the seasonal produce that is available this time of year makes for fantastic salads; not only are salads made beautiful and colorful because of the great produce that is available, but these salads also turn out incredibly tasty, fresh and satisfying.
During Spring, grocery stores are packed with bright and colorful beets, carrots, spinach, avocados, mangoes, apricots, garlic and onions (just to name a few of my personal faves)…and during summer, you’ll find all sorts of juicy berries, grapes, cherries, peaches, zucchinis, tomatoes, squashes, cucumbers, shallots and a great variety of lettuces (just to name a few of my personal faves).
This Kale and Golden Beets Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette recipe I am sharing with you today was inspired by a salad I ate in a restaurant in Boise…a recommendation made by my ever stunning and awesome hair stylist!
When I went in to see her for a haircut and color, we were talking about food and salads (we must’ve been starving if food came into the conversation!). Well, she was telling me about a delicious salad she always gets in one of our downtown restaurants…she was telling me about how incredibly fresh, tasty and light it was…and well, I was completely sold.
After my hair appointment was over, I picked up my husband and went to try this deliciousness with him. It was oh-so good.
So, naturally, I had to make my own version of it and share the recipe with you.
Hope you like it as much as we Idaho girls do!
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice (from 3 medium oranges)
- ½ teaspoon finely grated blood orange zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch of kale
- 3 golden beets, trimmed and peeled
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 4 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 4 tablespoons feta cheese (optional)
- Place all ingredients (except oil) in a medium, nonreactive bowl and whisk to combine.
- While whisking, add oil in slowly until fully incorporated.
- Refrigerate in a container with a tight lid for up to 3 days.
- Place beets in a saucepan and add water to cover; add in 1 teaspoon of white distilled vinegar as well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 35 minutes. Place pot under running cold water and let rinse until beets can be handled. Let cool completely and cut into 1" squares.
- Wash, pat dry and chop kale. Place kale in salad bowl, and add in tomatoes and cooked beets. Pour in about ¼ cup vinaigrette (save remaining for later use) and toss to coat.
- Top with walnuts and feta cheese (if using). Serve right away and enjoy. Don't forget to add your favorite grilled protein and a side of sweet potatoes to make this a complete meal!