I have a dirty chai latte lover at home. And I love it! This man is a total sucker for crafted coffee beverages, those that are a bit sweet and a bit spicy (which, coincidentally, is his wife’s personality description – wink wink).
This guy I am talking about is, of course, my hubby and he’ll drink these dirty chai tea lattes like they are water. I mean, he totally knows these drinks are packed with empty calories and that the ingredients used to prepare them are not the best for you (to say the least)…but still he can’t resist them. So to stay in shape and not flush his hard workouts down the toilet, he’ll choose to treat himself to one of these latte “cheats” only a few times a week. I love how he’s figured out a way to stay on top of his goals without giving up what makes him happy. He’ll be really consistent with his training, really good with his diet, and then indulge on his favorite drink. It’s the little things in life, right?
In light of his love for this dirty, dirty drink (wink wink), I decided to make him a Paleo-approved treat that would taste just like it! The only difference being that these treats are not in drink-form and are way better for you!
So, to get ready for my Paleo goodies I went grocery shopping, I prepped the ingredients and tools I needed, I put on my favorite apron and turned on some fun tunes. In less than an hour, I had the most delicious and scrumptious dirty chai muffins ever! I could not WAIT for my hubby to get home to try them. That night, I cooked dinner for us and for dessert, he had not one, not two, but THREE of these delicious muffins all by himself. My job was done.
Definitely give this Dirty Chai Paleo Muffins with Cinnamon Sugar Whipped Cream recipe a try! I hope you enjoy them as much as we did. XO
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 chai tea bags
- ¼ cup cold coffee (I used a lungo shot of Vanilio Nespresso, using my KitchenAid Nespresso machine)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 large eggs, whisked
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, chilled overnight
- 4 heaping tablespoons powdered sugar (if fully paleo, use coconut sugar)
- Cinnamon, to taste
- Granulated sugar, to taste (if fully paleo, use coconut sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add muffin liners to muffin pan and set aside.
- Brew coffee and set aside to cool.
- Add milk and chai tea bags to small saucepan. Place under medium heat and steep tea for 7 minutes (milk should reduce by one quarter). Squeeze tea bags and throw away. Let mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Place cooled chai tea, coffee, coconut oil, eggs, honey and vanilla extract in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients (tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt and spices). Then, transfer dry ingredients into the wet ingredients bowl, and use a spatula to combine all ingredients well (make sure you get rid of all bumps by pressing them with your spatula).
- Pour batter into muffin liners; mixture makes ten muffins so distribute batter accordingly.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Once done baking, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Place mixing bowl and can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight.
- Once coconut milk and bowl have been chilling for 24 hours, carefully remove the coconut milk from the fridge so you don’t disrupt the separation. Scoop off the cream that has risen to the top and place it in a chilled bowl.
- Beat the cream on high until peaks form, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar at a time, while the beaters are still going.
- I like to place the bowl of whipped cream in the fridge for 15-20 minutes and then beat it again right before adding it to muffins.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream on each muffin, and sprinkle a little bit of your cinnamon/sugar on top. Enjoy!
- Muffin pan
- Muffin liners (x 10)
- Standing mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons