One of my favorite condiments to add to any dish is a fresh, chunky, summer-inspired salsa. I use it to top grilled chicken, pan-fried fish, a juicy stake, or even a breakfast omelette; so much flavor can be added to an otherwise simple meal in as easy as one-two-three. I always, always, always keep a container of my favorite salsas in my fridge (like this organic salsa that you can get at CostCo, our local Steph’s Seriously Good Salsa or one of my homemade salsas) and whenever it’s time to serve dinner, I pull my salsa out and jazz-up my dish in a jiffy.
My husband loves it too…even more than me, actually. I think he was latin american or Mexican in his past life. And it’s funny because he highly dislikes tomatoes, so I don’t even understand why or how he can love salsa the way he does. It’s bizarre. Like he really dislikes tomatoes…pulls them out of salads, pizzas, sandwiches, etc. Odd, right? But hey, I am not complaining. If someone can get tomatoes in him, I am game.
See, tomatoes may help reduce the risk of various cancers, including prostate. And since I want my man to live for a really loooong time, and be uber healthy while he is at it, I gotta get tricky about his tomato consumption and 100% encourage his salsa eating ways. I don’t ever bring the obvious to light about how salsa is made out of tomatoes to him, I keep that fact all to myself. Mwwwa-ha-ha, it’s totally working. He pours salsa on his breakfasts and proteins like it’s his job…doesn’t even use a spoon to do it (which, I am not so thrilled about), but instead, dumps a ginormous amount of salsa to his plate straight from the jar. I am telling you…he LOVES.IT.
If you’re one of those wives or mothers that needs to get tricky about what your husband or kids eat, well…I am right there with ya! And if you feel like you need to give your family some of the healthiest foods, containing a wealth of vitamins and minerals this week…then, this fresh Avocado and Cucumber Salsa recipe is for you!
Happy salsa making, and cheers to healthy men and children!
Oh, oh…you also may want to try this delicious and more traditional salsa recipe I made a while ago. It is SERIOUSLY incredible. You can make big bathes of it and feed a big group too, all you gotta do is double or triple the recipe.
- 1 large ripe avocado, cubed
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cubed
- ½ medium red onion, finely sliced
- 1 bunch of cilantro, washed/rinsed and chopped
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- ~1 ½ cups filtered water
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Place red onions in a bowl, squeeze juice of 1 lemon, sprinkle ½ teaspoon of sea salt and add fresh filtered water to cover onions completely. Set aside and allow onions to sit for 30 minutes.
- To a separate mixing bowl add in tomatoes, cucumbers, cilantro, avocados, juice of remaining lemon, and grapeseed oil. Toss well to combine.
- Drain and rinse onions with fresh water. Add onions to the bowl containing the rest of the ingredients. Toss well to combine, and season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Citrus squeezer
- Mixing bowls
- Spatula/tongs to mix ingredients
* Good for 1 week when refrigerated in tight lid container