This Paleo Sweet Potato Hash with Sunny Side Up Egg recipe I’m sharing with you today took me literally 6-7 minutes to make, and it was delicious! How was I able to cook this so fast? Because I had ingredients (shredded sweet potatoes) ready for use!
If you were to peek in my refrigerator, you would find a bunch of cooked proteins and foods. I do this so that my family has plenty of choices to select from when it’s time for our next meal. What I do is I designate a “cooking day” once a week. Here, I’ll cook our favorite foods in bulk and put them in Ziploc bags; I’ll then either freeze them or refrigerate them, depending on how much I make.
See, this is smart because when the time comes to eat or when we find ourselves feeling a bit hungry, we just quickly grab something that calls our attention from the fridge. We’ll heat the food up and boom, problem solved. It literally takes us 2 minutes to have our foods ready to eat. It’s easy, fast, efficient and convenient. It also prevents us from eating the wrong stuff, like opening a bag of chips or taking a trip to the nearest food joint and eating who-knows-what. It’s a wonderful thing. If you don’t do this yet, you should try it! You will prevent the dreadful everyday question of “what am I going to cook for dinner tonight?” You will also avoid incomplete meals and drastically cut down on fast foods that do your body no good.
Even though having all these meals prepared in our refrigerator is a wonderful thing, sometimes I find myself craving something that just happens not to be in those Ziploc bags. So, what to do in times like these? It’s sort of a dilemma. I want something tasty that isn’t yet available to me, but I don’t want to spend all that time in the kitchen cooking that food.
There is one key secret to solve this problem, and it’s not rocket science.
You know how I recommend having that one “cooking day” a week? Well, add some “ingredient preparation” time to it. All you need to do is wash, cut, or shred some of your favorite ingredients, that way you have them ready and good to go whenever you make a recipe. It’s THAT simple. And believe me, it will save you lots of time when you cook! For example: when you buy vegetables, just cut or shred them and place them in a Ziploc bag in your fridge…just be sure to use them in one week’s time, so they don’t spoil.
I try to do this with most of the ingredients I buy. I like having all my stuff prepped and ready to use!
Don’t you love kitchen tricks? What are some of yours? Please share some of your secrets with us; we’d love to hear what you do!
Tools You’ll Need:
- Skillet (with cap)
- Measuring spoons
- ¼ shredded (unbaked) sweet potato
- 1 egg (with yolk)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Coconut oil spray
- Spar coconut oil in your skillet and place under medium-low heat.
- Once coconut oil is hot, add shredded sweet potatoes in. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, until they start getting a bit golden.
- Add in your spices (cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt and black pepper) and, using your tongs, mix it together with the sweet potatoes. Cook for another minute.
- Crack your egg open on top of the sweet potato hash. Cover with lid and let it cook for about 3-4 minutes (in order for the eggs to cook through better I added drops of water in the skillet, before adding the lid on top; the vapor helps speed the cooking process and prevents the food from burning).
- Remove from heat and using your spatula, carefully transfer the sweet potato hash and egg combination to your plate.
- Voila. Now, pinch the egg yolk and let it run over your food creation. So pretty-looking and SO tasty.
* Serves one.
* Nutritional information (per serving): 150.75 calories; 9.3g fat; 7.5g carbohydrates; 9.5g protein.