These Paleo Twix Bars are dangerously good. There, I’ve warned you.
Some of my friends came over last night to watch the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. We opened a few bottles of champagne and made a toast to long-lasting friendship. We ate, laughed, watched fit women walk down the runway, ate again and drank plenty. I love my friend time and I honestly don’t think I have enough of it. It is so important to create memories with friends and to be there for each other (for the good, the bad, and the ugly). I specially adore having them over at my house. I love being able to share my home and provide a welcoming space, where they feel like it’s their own.
You know what is one of my favorite things about having them over? Making them try my newest Paleo recipes. I love watching their faces as they savor the first bite…their expressions let me know if the recipe is a “no go” or a “go” for my blog (thanks girlies!)
Last night I have them try the delicious Paleo Twix Bar. I think they were pretty pleased (I know my husband was for sure, he has had at least 4 bars); one of my friends even wanted to take an extra one home so she could take it to work the next day.
I am sharing this recipe with you my Amazing Paleo family, because it might be a good excuse for you to have friends over and share yummy homemade healthy treats while creating long-lasting memories. Have fun making and eating them!
Tools You’ll Need:
- Food processor
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
Ingredients for the Shortbread:
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Steps for the Shortbread:
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Plug in your food processor and add in macadamia nuts. Process until macadamia nuts convert into a flour consistency (see picture below)
- Add in maple syrup, vanilla extract and sea salt. Process just until ingredients are well incorporated (see picture below).
- Using a tablespoon, scoop mixture and roll into a ball. Shape the ball into a long tube and place down on parchment paper (should be around 2 1/2 to 3 inches long). You can use a knife to smooth sides and top of shortbread.
- Place baking dish in your freezer. Now on to making the caramel.
Ingredients for the Caramel:
- 6 medjol dates (pitted)
- 3 tablespoons SunButter
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon purified water
Steps for the Caramel:
- Place dates, sun butter, sea salt and water in food processor. Process until all ingredients have been well mixed.
- Take out baking sheet from the freezer and top each shortbread stick with your caramel [use a tablespoon to help you scoop the mixture out of the processor, and using your hands, place the caramel on top of the shortbread to cover it completely (see picture below)].
- Place baking dish back in your freezer.
Ingredients for the Chocolate Coating:
- 1 cup unsweetened chocolate chips (melted)
Steps for the Chocolate Coating:
- Once you have your chocolate chips all melted, dip each stick into the chocolate and place it back on the parchment paper. *Make sure sticks are 100% covered with chocolate.
- Place baking sheet back into the freezer and leave it there overnight.
- Enjoy and love life! If want to save sticks for later, just make sure to either keep them in the refrigerator or freezer J
* Recipe slightly modified from the Healthful Pursuit
* Recipe yields 10 Twix Bars
* Nutritional Information (per Twix Bar): 243 calories; 16g fat; 27g carbohydrates; 3g protein.