There is nothing better than grilling at night. Lately, that’s all we do at home, and I am in love with my little spring routine. Let me tell you how it goes…
I do all I have to do during the day (workout, run errands, clean my house, do some laundry, apply for jobs, take pretty photos, respond to emails, etc.), and then when 5pm hits, I start preparing dinner for my husband and I. Then, just about when I have everything ready to be cooked/grilled, my husband gets home. We open a bottle of wine (he usually does vodka), we turn some nice smooth jazz on, and we turn on our grill. Preston (my hubs) will go out and grill all the protein and vegetables (zucchini, squash, and lately plantains) I’ve prepped. It smells glorious; to me, nothing beats that smell around dinnertime.
While he is out grilling, I set the dinner table and make sure I clean up my mess at the kitchen. Then, Preston will come in with dinner and we sit down and enjoy ourselves for about an hour. It is so nice to be able to have a peaceful sit down dinner, where you can chat about life and de-stress. I am telling you, this is such a gift. I love my time with my husband; he is my favorite person in the world. I feel extremely blessed to have him; not only is he my best friend, but he is also my support, my encouragement, my motivation, my rock, my spiritual leader and my confidant.
After our deliciously healthy meal is over, Preston and I go out for a 3-mile walk around the city. We live downtown and there is always stuff going on. It is so fun! Especially now that it’s summer, the sun does not go down until 9-10pm; this allows us to get our walk on with plenty of daylight. We’ve been walking to the university (where we met), along the Boise River, down the greenbelt, and around the busy restaurant areas in downtown Boise. Every walk we take is different, as we are trying to choose new paths every single time to explore as much as we can of our lovely Boise. It is the best. Spring/summer, can you please last forever?
I am leaving you today with some AWESOME Asian Paleo Burgers we made last night. By far, my favorite burger I’ve made so far. Enjoy!
Tools You’ll Need:
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Large plate
- Grilling tools (spatula)
- 2 pounds of ground turkey
- 2 eggs (include the yolks)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 6 shiitake mushrooms (chopped)
- ¾ cup green onions (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoon coconut aminos
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ lime (juice of)
- Place skillet under medium heat and add sesame oil. Once oil is hot, sauté minced garlic for about 1-2 minutes.
- When your minced garlic has taken a brownish color, add in shitake mushrooms to the pan and sauté for another minute or two.
- Once both have sautéed well, remove from heat and let them cool for a bit.
- Add eggs, coconut aminos, lime juice, almond flour, ground ginger and sea salt to your mixing bowl; whisk ingredients together. Add in ground turkey and combine all ingredients well.
- Add in minced garlic and mushrooms to your ground turkey mixture and mix together.
- Using your hands, create palm size patties and set them on your large plate (you’ll take them all out to be grilled in a bit. FUN!)
- Turn your grill on. Once hot, place patties on the grill and let them cook for about 4 minutes (watch your patties carefully, do not let them burn!)
- Using your grilling tools (spatula) turn patties around and let the other side cook for about 4 minutes.
- Let patties cool down a bit and enjoy them with a nice garden salad!
* Recipe yields 10 patties
* Nutritional Information (per patty): 209 calories; 12g fat; 3.6g carbohydrates; 19g protein.