Did you know that organic grass-fed beef can help reduce conditions such as asthma and arthritis? Beef contains selenium, which is needed to support antioxidants that reduce various inflammatory conditions. Now isn’t that interesting?
Beef is also a great source of protein, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, phosphorous and iron. Let’s take a deeper look at each:
- Protein will help you build a strong muscular body
- Vitamins B12 and B6 will help you reduce the risk of colon cancer and help regulate your nervous and digestive systems
- Phosphorous helps you keep strong teeth and bones (specially for those of us who workout!)
- Iron helps carry oxygen in the blood to all cells and muscles
All these health benefits make me want to eat beef right away!
On a completely different note…My husband and I just celebrated our “second” one-year wedding anniversary. See, we pretty much had three weddings: courthouse wedding in Boise (just the two of us), Ecuador ceremony and reception (big wedding dress, 6 months of planning and all my Ecuadorian friends and family), and a Boise reception (for the groom’s side of the family and close friends).
Since this is our 1st year of marriage, we have decided to celebrate all of our wedding days. To surprise my husband I cleaned the house, bought a bunch of fresh Paleo ingredients, cooked us a Paleo Diet approved dinner, lit some white candles around the house and opened a bottle of champagne. The recipe below is one of the menu items I served my hubby on our anniversary dinner date. Him and I both devoured these Paleo Beef and Pesto Burgers.
- Make the pesto: place skillet over medium/low heat and roast pine nuts until toasty and golden. Stir pine nuts constantly to avoid burning. Remove from heat and let cool completely. To a food processor, add basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts, sea salt and olive oil, and process until smooth. Transfer pesto to a jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cover two baking sheets with aluminum foil. Set broiler on high, arranging rack so that burgers are about 2 inches from the heat.
- In a bowl, combine whisked egg, beef, pesto and almond flour. Use mixture to form 6 patties. Place patties side by side in the middle of the baking sheet and broil for 8 minutes. Flip burgers and broil other side for 6 minutes. Top patties with pesto if desired, and serve right away.
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups