Apple Mustard Beef Paleo Burgers. One of my all time favorites!
Yesterday was a special day for Amazing Paleo. Why, you may ask? Well, it had its very first guest writer! It was such an honor to have the beautiful Jillian Beck share her story and her Paleo recipes with all of us. What a treat (literally and figuratively)! She is a very inspirational woman. If you haven’t read her story yet, don’t miss out and be sure to read yesterday’s Salmon 2 Ways blog post!
On a completely different note, the weather in Boise is changing drastically; yesterday, Mother Nature gave us gray skies and heavy rain over here. When this happens, one is forced to adapt to the change…even in little things, such as with our eating habits. No more iced coffees, cold treats, BBQs, picnics or fresh summer fruits…instead we welcome indoor cooking, warm dishes, and hot tea and coffee. Today I didn’t necessarily want to welcome the colder weather (food wise) at all. I felt like having a little more of summer. I am pretty stubborn and when I crave something, I find a way to get it. In this case, I was craving grilled burgers and I wanted them bad! The weather was chilly, so there was no way I’d actually BBQ…however, the oven’s broiler worked just as well! I gave my burgers a twist (adding apples to them) and broiled them away.
- 1 lb. organic beef
- 1 apple, shredded
- ¼ purple onion, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Cover two baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- Set broiler on high, arranging rack so that the patties are about 2" from the heat.
- In a mixing bowl, add in shredded apple, minced purple onion and spices. Mix thoroughly. Add in egg and beef to the mix. Combine until incorporated. Form 8 thin and wide patties, and divide these into the two baking sheets, aligning them vertically in the middle.
- Place one of the baking sheets in the oven, and broil patties for 7 minutes. Carefully turn patties over, and broil for another 5-6 minutes.
- Repeat step 4 using the 2nd baking sheet. Serve right away with favorite condiments.
- 2 baking sheets
- Aluminum foil
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons