I haven’t made meatloaf in a loooong time — in fact, I don’t think I’ve had a bite of meatloaf in at least a 2 years. It’s one of those things where you know its traditional recipe has gluten, so you just don’t think about it as a choice for dinner. However, for some strange reason both my husband and I were craving it last week, so I decided to make a healthy Paleo version of it.
It turned out really good. “It sort of tastes like lasagna”, my husband said while we tried it right after it came out of the oven. And he was right! I didn’t realize it at first, but it SO tasted like lasagna. Yum! I love that, especially because we were skipping all of the gluten and all of those carbs, and mainly consuming lean protein with lots of good flavor.
We both enjoyed our meatloaf with a huge plate of salad for dinner and called it a night. And just like the saying goes in Spanish — “barriga llena, corazon contento” — our stomachs were full and our hearts were happy!
My Paleo Turkey Meatloaf recipe yielded 8 meatloaf slices, so we had lots of great leftovers at home… which of course we ate for lunch the following days. It’s flavor was great even after a few days in the fridge. If you and your family don’t finish this recipe all in one sitting, be sure to store it in a close lid container in the refrigerator for later consumption. You can reheat each slice in the microwave for about 30-40 seconds, it won’t spoil the flavor or its consistency. Oh, and be sure to add a little extra Paleo-approved ketchup on top for good measure (that’s how we liked it best).
- 2 lbs. organic ground turkey
- 3 large organic eggs, whisked
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ white onion, thinly diced
- 2 cups baby spinach, slightly chopped
- ½ cup Paleo-approved ketchup
- ½ cup cashew flour
- 2 tablespoons + ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease bread pan with ½ teaspoon of coconut oil and set aside.
- Place frying pan under medium heat and add coconut oil. Once hot, sauté garlic and onions until translucent; add in spinach and spices and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Mix turkey, eggs and cashew flour in mixing bowl. Add in sautéed vegetables and mix (make sure you add the vegetables once they’ve cooled completely).
- Place meatloaf mixture in bread pan, making sure it’s spread evenly, and top with ketchup.
- Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool for a few minutes, add extra ketchup on top if desired and slice. Enjoy!
- 10” bread pan
- Frying pan
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife