THIS RECIPE IS SPONSORED BY SWANSON.
So, this is winter:
Red, crispy, borderline inappropriate apples at their peak of sweetness combined with plump, bright blueberries baked into a jammy base under a light cookie-dough-meets-biscuit type topping with a golden top.
Apples, we love you, and we are so glad you’re here to brighten up our winter. We need apple-based crisps resting warm out of the oven on our counters. We need it scooped into bowls and swimming with a plop of melty non-dairy ice cream. We need it cold in our fridge asking us – no, demanding us – to eat the crisp for breakfast, too. WHICH WE WILL OBVIOUSLY DO BECAUSE WE OBEY.
My love for apple crisps right now is sky-high. Not that it’s obvious or anything.
Fun fact about crisps, beyond the juicy, jammy, just-the-right-amount-of-golden-brown-and-crispy factors.
It’s a LAZY with a capital L-A-Z-Y DESSERT. Approximately zero percent hard. Here’s how I do it.
APPLE CRISP STEP ONE:
Fruit and sweetener and thickener in baking dish. Done.
APPLE CRISP STEP TWO:
Crumbling / pressing / generally spreading our cookie-dough-like base over the top of the fruit.
Use a spatula or just your fingers here. No need to get fancy.
APPLE CRISP STEP THREE:
Bake and done!
Let cool, because HOT, and then add your fave non-dairy ice cream or yogurt or whipped topping. And please don’t skimp on this part, as it’s of outmost importance. 😉
We have made said crisp topping from a handful of pantry essentials, including two scoops of Swanson Vanilla Whey Protein Powder, which, as you know, I have been a fan of and have been known to make other treats with (it adds natural sweetness and protein to my baked goods…BIG FAN!).
This Protein Apple & Blueberry Crisp crust is uncomplicated and elementary, but that’s exactly why Swanson Vanilla Whey Protein Powder shines.
It says: I see you making a very chill recipe, and I see that you want classic, sweet flavors without adding a ton of ingredients, and I’m going to elevate your game a bit by bringing a high-quality sweet smoothness with just two scoops of my sweet-powdered self.
It also says: YOU ARE WELCOME.
We have been obsessed with this vanilla whey protein powder, not only because it has 22 grams of protein and a complete amino acid profile per serving (HECK-TO-THE-YEAH!), but also because it has no hidden ingredients, no added sugars, no preservatives, no artificial sweeteners, flavors or colors.
It’s the real deal.
It is naturally gluten-free and easy on your stomach, which lets face it, its something hard to come by when it comes to a lot of protein powders in the market. Your modern-world strong self will be taken care of with a nice scoop of this vanilla powder goodness.
Whey protein is a fabulous addition to treats (like our amazing crisp, but also think: pancakes, waffles, muffins, smoothies, and granola bars)…and is easy to carry on-the-go for busy days or quick little getaways. Just add single (full) scoops to your trusted on-the-go containers or baggies, and you’re good to go for each time or day that you’ll need a pick-me-up.
Back to the star of the show: the crisp.
I don’t want to brag here, but I do want to recommend you to get a protein apple and blueberry crisp up in your life. It’s winter, for goodness sake, we got to bump it up a notch and live our best life.
There are tons of crisp recipes out there, and I’ve made MULTIPLE versions in my pursuit for the best. #someonesgottadoit And guess what, friends? I’ve done it. I’ve finally reached amazing.
Here’s why I love this crisp recipe:
- Easy, as mentioned.
- Guten-free, and good for those staying away from all grains.
- Extremely juicy and jammy when using fresh, sweet and plump fruit.
- Less jammy, but still very, very good when you have no access to fresh and plump fruit. I’d suggest switching fruit up, to match what’s in season.
- A crisp topping that is not cake-y nor dry. I find it to resemble a golden, rich and moist baked cookie that has a biscuit-type texture at the top for some magically contrasting crunch.
- 2 cups blueberries
- 4 large apples (peeled, cored and diced)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 scoops Swanson Vitamins Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
- ¾ cup fine almond flour (or almond meal)
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup melted ghee
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Add fruit directly to a large cast-iron skillet or to a 9"x13” baking dish. Toss with lemon juice, maple syrup, arrowroot powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, shredded coconut, protein powder, pecans, coconut sugar and salt. Mix in ghee and maple syrup and combine until the mixture takes a bit of a sticky consistency. Spread the crisp evenly over the fruit, and bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until the crisp takes a golden color.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving. Serve right away as is, or with dairy free vanilla ice cream on top.
I’d absolutely love to see your own juicy and sweet crisp creations!